Pages

Wednesday 19 December 2018

Activity 2: North and south

Now it is time to think about your hometown. What is special about where you live? On your blog, describe your hometown. Be sure to include lots of describing words (adjectives) in your post.
Week 1: In the beginning
Activity 2: North and south

So this is day 2, week 1 for the summer learning journey. I have been asked to talk about
my home town. I was born in New Zealand, Auckland. Now, let me tell you why my
hometown is so special to me.


#My Family:
Auckland is an amazing place with around 1.600 million people. We all have amazing
families that love us lots and good homes to live in. My family is very caring for each other.
And care about all the successful and unsuccessful things we do in our life. We don’t just
care for each other but we do also care about our community and school.


#My School:
The school I go to is called Pt England Primary. Pt England Primary is a school with around
600 kids. Our years go from year 1-8. At our school, we like to have fun. We enjoy having
picnics down at our school reserve, going camping out in the summer and even going on
school trips. We have amazing teachers that teach us how to learn and even have laughs
with us. When you become a new entrance you will get a warm and heartfelt welcome from
the whole school. Our school does everything to make you feel welcomed.


#The Holidays:
The Holidays are another reason why my hometown is so special. Some holiday we go full
out. We decorate the inside of our houses but even the outside of our houses. One of my
favorite holidays is, Kirihimete! (Christmas) Even though in most countries it’s winter in
Kirihimete it’s good to be different. By the time Kirihimete comes around, it’s summer in
New Zealand. For Kirihimete we mostly go out on the hot beach and swim in the warm
glistening water. When that’s over we make our way back to our houses and open up our
exciting presents that have been calling our name from the start of the day. We even have
big feed with your family like, BBQ’s and even Hangi’s.


So that's the reason why Auckland, New Zealand is so special to me. I hope you enjoyed
this blog post of why Kirihimete, family, holidays and school make my hometown so
special.

Stay tuned for more holiday blogging!

4 comments:

  1. Talofa lava Jahzara

    My name is Izzy and I am a team member of the Summer Learning Journey programme. I get to read your blog posts all summer.

    Firstly, wow! You have made such an amazing start to your blogging. I have really enjoyed reading your first two posts. Don’t forget there are up to three activities to do per day. The more you do, the greater your chance of winning a prize!

    I also live in Auckland, New Zealand. We are so lucky to live in such a great city. The way you have described the things that make it special painted a really clear picture of your slice of Auckland.

    Your family and your school sound like wonderful places to be. What are some of the things that your family enjoys doing together? My family loves to have big breakfasts together. Sometimes we are lucky and go out for breakfast but more often we cook up a delicious breakfast feed at home.

    Kirihimete is also my favourite holiday. I like that you go all out to decorate your house. I do too! I love the way Christmas light make everything shine. Just like you we will have a BBQ this year but sadly we don’t have the space to cook a hangi. What is your favourite BBQ or hangi food to eat?

    It has been a real privilege to read your first couple of blog posts and I can’t wait to see more from you.

    Ngā mihi,
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Izzy,

      Thank you so much for being the first official person to comment on my holiday blog posts!

      To be honest my favorite subject to do at school is, Witting. I love using descriptive words and structuring my paragraphs. How about you?

      So what my family loves doing together is SWIMMING! At the pools and even at the beach. Sometimes if we get the time to we go cockle picking. We like swimming in the lovely cold water and sometimes if we are lucky we get warm water at the beach! Whats your favorite thing to do with your family in the holidays? If it's been a long day and we are all bored we like to play bored games! My favorite is Cludo. Do you have one?

      My favorite thing to eat for hangi's are mostly stuffing and kumara YUM!We have a big back yard so we have space. Sometime if we feel like it we go over to my grandmothers house to do a hangi! What's your favorite food from a hangi or BBQ?

      Thanks,
      Jahzara

      Delete
  2. Morena Jahzara

    I was so happy to see your reply to my comment this morning.

    I also love writing. I am an intermediate teacher and I always make sure that I get to do some writing alongside my students. It makes it more enjoyable for everyone!

    In the holidays my family likes to go on road trips and explore new places. I really enjoy going on long bush walks so we try to go places that have hikes we haven't done before. This summer I would like to get into paddle boarding. Have you heard of it? You have a board that is sort of like a surf board but you stand up on it and use a long paddle to steer you. It looks easy but it is very hard to stay balanced.

    We LOVE to play board games as well. I always enjoyed Cludo. What character do you like to play as? My family like to play a game called code names. I think you would quite like it. You have a bunch of words on cards and have to make your team guess what your words are by only giving one word clues.

    At my school we have hangis all the time. I'm pretty lucky. I love the kumara also and the pumpkin and chicken. I could eat that for every meal.

    Have an awesome day Jahzara. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    Cheers,
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Izzy,

      Sorry for another late reply. I haven't had the time to reply to some of the comments people has left on my blog but now I have the time to reply to all the comments I never read.

      Wow that's very interesting that you and your family loves to explore new places in the holidays. My family just loves to go swimming and stay inside sometimes. I have never herd of the paddle board before but I have heard something just like it. By your explaining, I really want to go visit it too.

      I usually play as Mrs White. The names might sound a bit different to some of the names that you know but that only because I have the most recant one they made. Wow, Code Names huh? Maybe i'll try and find it the next time I go shopping.

      Wow your super lucky as you get to have hangi's at school? Yes, I love the kumara and chicken too. I'm not to keen on pumpkin as it has a very weird texture and taste.

      Thanks,
      Jahzara

      Delete