Pages

Thursday 20 December 2018

The Math eqation

Day 2: The forest life
Activity 3: Weird and wonderful

On your blog, tell us how to solve this maths problem. You can write your answer in words, use a Sketchpad image, or post a video explaining how you would figure it out. Be sure to give us your final answer in milliliters (ml).

New Zealand is just one of many countries that has amazing plants and trees. In fact, the African desert is home to some pretty incredible plants, like the cactus. Some cacti are able to survive on as little as 3 milliliters (ml) of water a day. Wow!

Let’s imagine that you are given a cactus for your birthday. To keep it alive, you must give it 3 ml of water every day.

Over one full year, how much water will you need to give your cactus plant?

3x365=
The reason why I did 3x365 is because the plant needs 3 ml a day and the question is asking us how much water will it need for a whole year. A whole year is 365 days.

To solve this equation you will need to simplify the question. Simplify means to use less numbers than you already are using. I would go.
3x300=900

I know that this answer is correct because 3x3 is 9. If you add another zero to your equation then you will have to add another zero to you answer which will make it 90. The I will have to add another zero to make it 300. The final answer I get is 900. The next step I would to is to do 3x60. The 60 comes from the 365.
3x60=180

This is the same as the last equation, but is a little but different. Because 3x6= 18 you would have to add a one in front of the 80 to make it 180. Next you will have to go,
3x5=15

The 5 also comes from the 365. You can see that I added all the numbers up from that number. 300 from the 3 in the 365. The 60 from the 6 in 365 and the 5 in the 5 from 365. What you want to do know is to add up your first 2 answers.
900+180=1080
Next you will have to add your last answer together with the 1080.
1080+15= 1095/3x365=1095

Your final answer you should get is 1095. You will need 1095 ml water to water the plant for a year.

10 comments:

  1. Morena Jahzara

    I was so excited when I got to my computer this morning and saw all of the blog posts you had put up over night. I have had such a great time catching up on them.

    The way that you have explained your method for solving this problem is very clear and easy to understand. I like how you broke down each section of the problem and used your prior knowledge of times tables to help you solve it.

    Also, your beast really is fantastic! You came up with such a creative creature. What kind of sounds does it make and where does it live?

    You are putting so much care and effort into all of your posts which makes them very enjoyable to read. I have also seen all the supportive and positive comments that you are leaving your peers. It is so motivational for me and for them!

    I can’t wait to see what else your blog has in store!
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Izzy,

      Thanks again for the positive comments, and thank you so much for giving up your time just to do this.

      I was a bit confused when I first saw this math equation but I thought back from when we were learning about this at school. I had a look back at some of my maths problems and it helped me a lot.

      Thanks! I like using my imagination so that was probably my favorite activity I have done so far! The sound it makes is really hard to explain but i'll do my best. So my creatures kind of makes a groaning sound. It does snore a lot when Jamiey is sleeping. Jamiey lives in an enchanted forest. He doesn't like being seen but he only comes out in the night. That's all I can tell you cause, you know I don't want him to be taken away from where he lives.

      Thank
      Your's sincerely
      Jahzara

      Delete
  2. Hi Jahzara,

    Wow! This is an awesome answer. I like how you have put so much detail into your blog post!

    Keep up the incredible work :)

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie,

      Thanks for the lovely comment. I quiet do enjoy doing math so... yea!

      Thanks,
      Jahzara

      Delete
  3. Hi Jahzara,
    My name is Lydia and I am a year 7 student at Tamaki Primary School! I love your blog and how detailed your explanation of your strategy is! I like how you used such detailed words to make sure your readers understand your strategy! Keep up the GREAT work!

    - Lydia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Lydia,

      Sorry for the late reply, I have had a look at your blog and you are doing an amazing job. Keep up the good work. Thanks for the notice. I hope to see people who comment on my blog understands why I use such descriptive language. It's so it can pop out to people like you!

      Thanks,
      Jahzara

      Delete
  4. Hi!
    Awesome to see your maths skills coming out in your summer holidays.
    Maybe add some pictures to make you work stand out a draw more attention.
    Please see my blog at
    https://wpssamuelh.blogspot.com/
    Bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam,

      Thanks for the lovely comment you have left here on my blog. Thanks for the tip. I really should add more pictures into my blog post I have done. I have gone onto your blog also and you are doing great. Keep up the good work! Thanks once again for the tip and the lovely comment!

      Jahzara

      Delete
  5. Aloha,
    My name is Zephaniah and I am a part of doing the SLJ. It is great to see you completing as much of the activities provided on the site. Tino pai! It is great to be able to read this awesome post talking about your problem solving. I hope this wasn;t that hard to solve for you. How did you manage to get this answer?

    Nga mihi,
    -Zephaniah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Zaphaniah,

      Thank you for the lovely comment. I have also gone onto your blog and you did a fantastic job. You have completed all the activities and you have dine that with pride and mana! The way I figured out this answer was by using multiplications and addition.

      Once I was finished with multiplying I added it together and received the awnser 1095!

      Thanks,
      Jahzara

      Delete