Pages

Tuesday 18 December 2018

Day 1: The legend of New Zealand


To learn more cool facts about New Zealand, check out the Tourism NZ website. Read the fun facts posted on the website and choose your ‘Top 3.’ On your blog, post your ‘Top 3 Fun Facts’ about NZ in

Week 1: In the beginning
Day 1: The legend of New Zealand.




#Fact 1: As some people should know the Maori name for New Zealand is
Aotearoa. In English Aotearoa means the land of the long white cloud. It was quite interesting that, that is what Aotearoa means. The long white cloud HMM MM....? Is it name the long white cloud because we have a log white cloud going through the sky? I don’t exactly know why we decided to have Aotearoa as our Maori name but when I do I will tell you about it. if you have any idea of why it might be called long white cloud comment down bellow.

#Fact 2: Did you know that there are no snakes is New Zealand? I was surprised when I heard there were no snakes in New Zealand. When I was younger I used to be afraid of snakes so I was so relieved when I heard there were no snakes in New Zealand. I also wonder why we don't have any snakes in New Zealand. I wonder if the ever will be. What do you think?
  File:Black snake 2 (PSF).png



#Fact 3: Did you know to become a New Zealand citizen, you have to swear an oath of loyalty to Queen Elizabeth. I wonder how scary this would be to do it in front of the queen. People would find this super exciting as I would find this super scary. Others would find it exciting because, I mean their meeting the queen. I would find it scary also because IT'S THE QUEEN!

I hope you enjoyed this blog post!
Comment down bellow of what you think!



2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Jahzara,
    My name is Patricia and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey team. How nice is to see that your are actively engaging on completing the activities, way to go! I am here to comment and support your posts and guide you through this program.
    Thanks for sharing such a cool and curious facts about New Zealand! Also, I really like how you asking questions to your readers as well as that can engage and prompt them to write back to you, very clever!
    Regarding to the name Aotearoa, the land of the long white cloud there are few theories and one says that it came from when the voyagers where arriving in the New Zealand and the first thing they saw was this long white cloud above the land and that is how the name come about (see more info athttps://teara.govt.nz/en/1966/aotearoa).
    I also feel relieved that we don't have snakes or any predators because that means that we can get into the wild without having to be concern about be eaten or poison by any wild animal. I think that we don't have any snakes because New Zealand is geographically isolated from every other country in the world. There is over a thousand kilometres of ocean between New Zealand and the nearest large land mass. There is simply no species of snake that can travel that far through water.
    Thanks for a very enjoyable post! keep up with the great work!
    Kia kaha,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Patricia,

      Sorry for the very late reply.

      Thanks for the comment! Wow thanks for telling me about some people's theories about the long white cloud! I was very tempted to find out what it could mean and why it was called this.

      You are absolutely right. Going into the wood without being afraid of a snake just about to jump out at you is so reliving. Ohh, thanks for telling me what you think. I never thought that, because New Zealand is geographically isolated from every other country in the world mean we can't have any snake's in our country. Wouldn't it sound crazy that snakes were native to New Zealand?

      Thanks for the comment,
      Jahzara!

      Delete