Pages

Friday 26 June 2020

Matariki ~ My Wonderful, Tragic Day :)

Today was one of the most wonderful yet tragic day's I have ever experienced!

Today we celebrated Matariki! Matariki is in fact the Maori name for the cluster of stars called the pleiades. Matariki is about celebrating Maori new years. The Pleiades are a seven star cluster. Many people debate on whether there are 7 or 9 stars.  The Maori constellations states that there are 7 stars. Waiti, Waita, Waipuna-rangi, Tupu-a-nuku, Tupu-a-rangi, Ururangi and Matariki!

After our school assembly we set off to our groups. The previous week, we got the chance to choose what group we wanted to be in. The options were, Cooking, Arts and crafts, Movie making and sports. I wanted to be in either sports or cooking but I got put into Arts and crafts :/ Due to some, uneven groups.  I was with Mrs Stone and Mrs Carruthers in room 4.

Our task was to decorate some printed off stars. Seven of them! We could use any design we wanted. Our next step was to use dye to create a background for our stars. 'There's no wrong awnser to art." Just go for it! :) I first started off with completing my seven stars. The supplies we were able to use were colored pencils and coloring felts. I chose some pretty unique designs. I also sat on a table with some of my close friends, John, Kitione, Brendon and Kobey. We talked quite a lot. And the classroom was pretty noisy too, so it wasn't just us :)

Once I finished decorating my stars, I went outside and got onto my background while Mrs Carruthers cut out my stars. I used purple, light and dark blue for my backdrop. I started off pretty well. Until one of my friends Nina accidentally spilt water on me and Pauline's masterpiece! How sad, I was doing so well :( Mrs Stone got both me and Pauline a new piece of paper and we started all over again. I used the same colours and was able to redo my background. In my opinion, it turned out better than the last. I then used white paint to make it look like tiny stars. I got the paint everywhere but my paper. My face, hands, arms, uniform, and legs! It was an absolute disaster, but I'm still happy with my creation. We let our backgrounds dry.

Our last step was to paste our stars onto our backgrounds. Using glue sticks we pasted our stars onto our creative backgrounds and we were finished. A day filled with long conversations, messy art, paint all over the place and a lot of tragic uniforms. Today was all about having fun and celebrating Matariki and at the end of the day, I was happy I got put into Arts and Crafts! At the moment, no photos of the day but once I find some, they'll be here :)) A special thanks to all the teachers and staff members who made today a special and possible day.

 A day filled with fun! Happy Matariki!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jahzara! I'm Piper form Pompaillier Catholic School. and wow it sounds like you've had an amazing day doing lots of fun activities! You've described a lot about your day and it was very interesting to read about what you did, that would of been quiet disappointing for you and your friend to have to restart your artwork, but it's cool that your new artwork turned out even better than the original! well done!

    ReplyDelete