Pages

Tuesday 8 September 2020

Who are you? ~ Home Room Learning :)

'Be proud of who you are as I have done the same!' Being Maori 'and' Tongan means a whole lot to me as I identify myself as 'that' nationality. It's in my blood and will always be :) 

(Maori) ~ One of the many traditions that I am linked and involved in is 'Kapa Haka.' Kapa Haka is a time where a group of people represent their skills, their family and more :) Many things are involved in this type of tradition as it has meaning too :) One of the many traditions in 'Kapa Haka is a Waiata: A waiata marks a special and important occasion. Such as, the birth of a child, death, ETC. It can most likely be emotional and heartfelt. But in the end it brings everyone together. 

(Tonga) ~ From my personal experience the most common Tongan traditional dance is called a Tau'olunga. Usually performed on special occasions, E.g weddings, birthdays and more. You’re able to perform the dance individually and also in small groups. It shows untouched beauty. It’s also performed by younger people as it is quite rare for older women and married women to do this dance as it is prohibited. 

Being able to participate in such passionate event brings me to a better understanding of where I come from and of how special it is to me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment