Pages

Tuesday 27 November 2018

Kawau island reflection

Mansion is the BEST! Us year sixes just came back from Camp Bentzon on Kawau island. It was the best
camp I have even gone on.


As we arrive at Camp Bentzon we looked out the water and saw a beautiful blue sea. We went up the front
of the ferry and listened as we waited for the boys to start off their Haka. Peter and Erin were waiting up
the front of the wharf, watching us as we nervously arrived at Camp Bentzon on Kawau  island. We
walked out of the ferry and dropped off our day bags at the front of the camp, we then walked back and
forwards delivering our weekly bags and food off at the front of the deck.

After a long time we then assembled next to the volleyball court where we all placed our day bags. We had
a bit of a talk and in the next minute we were all walking up the dreadful killer hill. I started very strong but all of a
sudden I started to breath quit heavily. We walked halfway round, then sat and ate our morning tea. We
walked some more and found our way on the other side of the hill, I did fall quit a lot but that only happen
while I was walking up the hill.


The next day after we arrived we started our rotations, but started our morning off with a long fitness course
up killer hill. The first activity Mansion B did was kayaking, Erin took that activity. We arrived at the
household of the kayaks and carried them out to the sea in pairs of two. We then made our way throughout
the big blue sea. Even from far away we could see Bentzon A and their sail boats. I did fall out of my boat
but that's only because we were playing a game. I only got to see one stingray, but the others got to see
about 2 or 3.


Our last rotation of the day was sailing. There were 3 people who could go single, Isaiah and Paschal were
the first to stick their hand up but no one else wanted to go, so I slowly put my hand up, all of a sudden
Peter jumped and instantly asked what my name is. I then told him and then became the demonstrator.
Straight after I got sent off my way. Not much wind that day and so I did take a while to move from one
spot to another. I loved sailing, I was the best thing I have ever experienced. There is about one phrase I will
probably always remember which is “Tiller to the sail.”


Thursday was our last day for normal rotations. Our first rotation was the confidence course known as the
concourse. Mr J gave us one task, to make sure all our fear was in our head and to hug your mama. We
climbed up nets and at the top we had to come back to the front. We hugged the pole like we were hugging
our mama. Halfway through it started raining. We were just about to climb through tires. Once it stopped
raining we skipped one course and moved onto the next one. It was lots of fun, but I wish we could have
done more courses.


Last of all we finished the day off with abseiling. We were all confused but we did find out what abseiling is.
We all thought it had something to do with water, but it was really all about climbing a big long wall. I was
terrified. Paschal was busting to go first, but all of a sudden he backed out. I was supposed to go second but
because Paschal backed out I had to go first. I really didn’t want to go but I was already hooked in, so there
was no turning back. I started climbing and all I could hear was my heart pounding and people cheering me
on. As soon as I reached the top I looked down, then looked back up. “I don’t want to go down” I said to
myself, then I realized this was going to be the last time I did abseiling for a while so I made my way down
slowly and terrified. I reached the floor and I was so happy.


We had our camp concert on Thursday. Each day at camp we practiced and practiced until we got our
dances perfect. Team Mansion used 3 songs. Who run the world? (girls!), I want it that way and all over.
We had a pretty good dance, lots of levels because the judges were looking for that. Concert night is also
known as prize giving. During prize giving I got best girl sailor. For our item we came second place. We
were tempting to come first.


Friday was our last day at Camp Bentzon. Friday was known as sports day at camp. We got to swim, play
volleyball, touch and play bush baseball. The first activity we did was swimming. I was hoping to swim last
but we ended up swimming first. We usually could jump of the wharf but because it was the last day we
just jumped off the pontoon. To get to the pontoon we had to swim there. Some people needed life jackets
because it was deep. I didn’t need one because I am a good swimmer. When we did our activities we got to
have another team with us usually playing against them.


The ending game we play was bush baseball. It was called bush baseball because we were playing baseball
in the bushes. We were playing against Bentzon A. Some of the bases were hidden but luckily people had
to stand by them. The score was 21-42 to Bentzon A, I think. We had so much fun even though we did
lose all our games.


My highlight of camp probably had to be every time we were in the water. I love being in water. I wish we
could have swam all day! I loved going swimming, kayaking, sailing, jumping off the pontoon and
jumping off the wharf.


I would like to say a big thank you to all the parent that turned up to camp and help us with our activities.
Thank you to Peter and Erin for doing this camp every year for the year sixes. I would also like to thank
my parents for providing the money for me to come to camp. One more thank you to all the teachers that
made this camp possible.

Overall this camp has been my favorite so far. Lovely place, amazing games, beautiful water and wonderful
weather. I would love to go back to Kawau island anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment