Pages

Wednesday 18 December 2019

SLJ (Week 1, Day 1, Activity 1, 2 & 3)

Hello there! Well, yes I am back with more Summer Learning Journey blog posts. I joined this blogging comp a few years back. I had great fun commenting, reading, doing cool and amazing things during my holiday. I had a fun time with the crew & hope It'll be the same this year.  As some of you know, the top blogger will be awarded a Nintendo Switch. Of course It'll be cool winning one for myself but, I'm just making sure my grades are where they're meant to be for next year. Although I may be busy throughout the weeks but I'll try my best to keep you all updated. Have a nice holiday everyone & enjoy my blog posts!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 1: EXPLORERS

(People from Pacific nations have always been expert explorers and navigators. In the past, they used the stars, sun and ocean swells to find their way (navigate) around the Pacific Ocean. Master navigator, Nainoa Thompson, has used the ancient Polynesian wayfinding skills to navigate around the world. In 2013, Nainoa led a crew across the Pacific Ocean on two large canoes (Hokule’a and Hikianalia). The crew stopped off in Aotearoa, New Zealand in 2015 on their journey and visited the Manaiakalani Schools in Auckland.

Here is a short video about Polynesian navigation. It describes the different ways ancient Polynesian navigators used the natural world to find their way around vast oceans. Incredible!

I think that it would be difficult to be ‘at sea’ for weeks at a time. I would miss my family but I would also enjoy the adventure. Let’s imagine that you were invited to join Nainoa for three weeks at sea. As part of the journey, you have to pack your own food.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 1: Setting Sail
For this activity, make a list of ten food items that you could take with you. Please think carefully about what you will take as you won’t have access to a refrigerator or freezer while at sea. Please explain why you would select each item.

On your blog, post your list of 10 food items you would take on an ocean voyage and the reasons why you chose these items.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(EXPLORERS)


Many people believe that Kupe was the first explorer to discover Aotearoa, New Zealand in about 1300. He navigated his way by waka to Aotearoa from Hawaiki using traditional Polynesian navigation techniques - just like Nainoa Thompson (from Activity 1) did much later on. Legend says that he followed a great octopus all the way to Aotearoa/New Zealand and finally destroyed it in Cook Strait (the water between the North and South Islands).

Many years later, a Dutch explorer from The NetherlandsAbel Tasman, was exploring the Pacific Ocean when he came across New Zealand. He thought that he was the first person to ‘discover’ the country (despite the fact that Māori already lived in New Zealand!) and made the claim in 1642 that he had ‘discovered’ a new land. His exploration of New Zealand inspired many other European explorers to follow his lead and travel to the Oceania.

Kupe and Abel Tasman were two different men from two very different backgrounds (cultures) who shared a common interest - exploration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Activity 2: Discovering Aotearoa

For this activity we would like you to think about your own experiences and your own cultural background. Where does your family come from? Do they come from Europe like Abel Tasman, Polynesia like Kupe, or somewhere else?

On your blog, please tell us about your cultural background. Where do you and your family come from?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi well, most of you already know but, my name's Jahzara. I have 5 siblings (including me.) We've grown up around family from other countries and from New Zealand. We're half Maori, half Tongan.

Let me explain...

My family is very large. I have family all over the world!

My mum is full Maori. She grew up in Auckland, New Zealand, Manurewa. My grandmother & granddad is also Maori. Pops (My mum's step dad) is from England. He grew up in London. My mum grew up having really tight bonds with her cousins. She enjoyed her time with her family as she was still young. My mum only has 1 sibling. My mum's sister, my aunty ! <3

My dad is full Tongan. My dad grew up in Tonga but then moved to New Zealand to go to collage in Auckland. My uncle joined my dad soon after and went to the same high school. My papa is Tongan and so is my nana.  I have a lot of family in Tonga. Sometimes we'll go visit them and sometimes they'll come visit us. My dad's step sister is currently living in Australia. As for my dad's other sister, my aunty, she's up in heaven. I already know she's happy, happy to be with her savior, our Lord up above.

We've all grown up to be so tight. To have strong connections and to be happy together.



(Here's a little animation I made back in term 1, Hope you enjoy!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(EXPLORERS)


In 1953, Sir Edmund Hillary and his sherpa (guide), Tenzing Norgay, were the first people to reach the summit of Mt Everest, the tallest mountain in the world.

At the time, Edmund Hillary was an apiarist (beekeeper) from Auckland, New Zealand. During the summer he worked as a beekeeper, and during the winter, he climbed mountains. Becoming the first person to summit Everest was not easy. In fact, Edmund Hillary attempted (tried) to climb to the top of Mt Everest three times before he succeeded. He was determined to reach the top!

While this famous explorer and climber is mostly remembered for being the first person to reach the summit of Mt Everest, he has also made a huge impact on the world through his charity work. In 1960, Sir Edmund Hillary set up the Himalayan Trust to bring education, healthcare and safe drinking water to the people of Nepal - the country where Mt Everest is located.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Scaling new heights!
For this activity, please select a charity that you are interested in. You may choose your own or use one from our list (below). Read about the charity.

List of Possible Charities:
SPCA
Auckland City Mission
Air Rescue
OXFAM

On your blog, write a short explanation of what the charity does.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    I chose the charity SPCA. SPCA is a charity for animals. They rescue animals who have been injured, who are sick, abused or abandon. SPCA is technically a vet. They help a lot of animals. Guess how many animals SPCA saves a year.... They save around 40,000 animals a year. This is really good for our animals. Well, we are losing a lot of animals. Some of them are close to being extinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment